Problem with dbf file

Useful shares from PivotCube VCL - code example, algorithm solutions etc

Moderator: Alex Zencovich

Problem with dbf file

Postby prosoft » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:08 pm

Hi,
i have problem with big dbf files witch i using as data source for pivotcube.
Is any limitation for dbf files? (number of rows , size ?)
I would like to use xml insted dbf? Is any description or sample how can i create xml file to load to pivotcube?

Thanks Josef.
prosoft
User

Re: Problem with dbf file

Postby AlexZencovich » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:19 pm

1. DBF files usually take a lot time for open if via ODBC driver as it usually loads a full table into ram. Youmay check this by simple code like
i:= 0;
Query.Open
while not Query.Eof do begin Query.Next; inc(i); end;
Query.Close;
that will helps you split PivotCube VCL-related problem from ODBC problem.
You may try to look for different ODBC after all

2. Check if you have enough RAM on your PC and application do not fall to swapping

3. XML database usually use special drivers for XML and that never faster than DBF but in most cases much slower(due to parsing of langauge) and take a much more RAM (that is a price of usability of XML)

4.DBF files usually have some limitations like other DBMS's like num. records - 2000,000,000, num. fields-1024, size of char fields - 4096 bytes etc. But I think you have not overload these limitations. Probably you may need switch from DBF to some more sophisticated DBMS with native Delphi support - there are lot of the market like NexusDB, EasyTable etc or even Delphi's BlackFish SQL, FireBird or TClientDataSet (that may take a more RAM but less than DBF anyway)
Best regards,

Alex Zencovich
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.pivotcube.com - OLAP solution for Delphi, C++ Builder and ActiveX environment
AlexZencovich
Site Admin

Return to PivotCube VCL