Number of features of dimension

Discussion forum for PivotCube VCL users. Common questions. Bug and problem reports

Moderator: Alex Zencovich

Number of features of dimension

Postby jarkol » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:21 am

Hello Alex.
I have a problem with the size of the OLAP cube. When the number of features for one dimension exceeds 65 000 get erroneous results. Comes to reproduce the value of this dimension.
Do you have any idea on what could be the problem and how to deal with this?
Thanks in advance for your reply.
jarkol
User

Re: Number of features of dimension

Postby AlexZencovich » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:49 am

jarkol wrote:Hello Alex.
I have a problem with the size of the OLAP cube. When the number of features for one dimension exceeds 65 000 get erroneous results. Comes to reproduce the value of this dimension.
Do you have any idea on what could be the problem and how to deal with this?
Thanks in advance for your reply.

That is PivotCube limitation. To save RAM we use type "word" to keep dimension items indexes. So it cannot be more than 65530 items in single dimension
Best regards,

Alex Zencovich
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.pivotcube.com - OLAP solution for Delphi, C++ Builder and ActiveX environment
AlexZencovich
Site Admin

Postby jarkol » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:57 am

Thanks for the reply.
However, it does not seems too good. Do you have any idea how to deal with it without sharing the cube?
jarkol
User

Postby jarkol » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:54 pm

Hi again.
I have a question about whether I can change the word type to the four-byte type. I have bought the source code of the PivotCube.
If possible please say where to do it.
jarkol
User

Postby AlexZencovich » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:49 pm

By our expirience, use dimensions with a lot of items uncomfortable for user very often - it is a bit slow to open dimension editor or grid became a huge in rows etc. Usually it used with some filters only or within some "predefined" drills like dim1->dim2

You may try to change Measure_SRC.ZDType to LongWord but I cannot promise a stable work, sorry.
Best regards,

Alex Zencovich
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.pivotcube.com - OLAP solution for Delphi, C++ Builder and ActiveX environment
AlexZencovich
Site Admin

Postby jarkol » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:11 am

Thank you very much for reply, I'll try.
jarkol
User

Return to PivotCube VCL