SaveDimensionData by dimension, feature request

Discussion forum for PivotCube VCL users. Common questions. Bug and problem reports

Moderator: Alex Zencovich

SaveDimensionData by dimension, feature request

Postby c_pradelli » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:50 pm

Hello Alex,

I need to setup a SaveDimensionData property by dimension, actually I can only set it when I call PivotMap1.SaveToStream for all dimensions.
I need to do this because, I only need to save dimension data when it has some filter or some custom group. Doing this I save a lot of time and space in map file (I save it in a database).
I going to do it by my self, It's easy, But I post it here because I think it could be useful for other people.
c_pradelli
User

Postby AlexZencovich » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:17 pm

I'm sorry but it no so easy for implement as it looks.

Major problems.

1. How to handle dimension change after map load. Should it be treatened as 'untouched' or not

2. How to handle when dimension groups was removed from their original state or custom groups was removed - actually there are no way to check was dimension chnaged or not becasue after some set of manipulations it may be same as before first change

Mostly it looks like not "impossible" problems but it looks like several changes in basic dimension storage structures/algorithms required.
I will do that because I agree, current way is not perfect. But in next version.

By now I may suggest you use compression stream as map storage
Best regards,

Alex Zencovich
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.pivotcube.com - OLAP solution for Delphi, C++ Builder and ActiveX environment
AlexZencovich
Site Admin

Postby c_pradelli » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:10 pm

I only need the SaveDimensionData property in the dimension (default to true).
In SaveToStream you save the DimensionData when both the property and the procedure parameters are true.
This is the only feature request that I suggest.

The user (me) then will decide when to set that property to false using their own algorithms.

I have two dimensions in a cube that I never want to be saved in map because they have 25000 items that changes in every period.
c_pradelli
User

Postby AlexZencovich » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:52 pm

Hmm, that looks like solution. Thanks. I will add this in next build
Best regards,

Alex Zencovich
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.pivotcube.com - OLAP solution for Delphi, C++ Builder and ActiveX environment
AlexZencovich
Site Admin

Return to PivotCube VCL