Suggestion: add drop-down charts for the dimensions rows

Discussion forum for PivotCube VCL users. Common questions. Bug and problem reports

Moderator: Alex Zencovich

Suggestion: add drop-down charts for the dimensions rows

Postby kurgbe » Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:39 pm

Currently PivotChart provides drop-down charts only for the dimensions in columns.

It would be handy if the user had also drop-down charts for the dimensions in rows.
(currently the user has to swap dimensions, which sometimes changes the measures e.g. when the measure is Percents-by-row)

Big job? For the next release?

Thanks
kurgbe
User

Postby AlexZencovich » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:36 am

You can easy perform this task as combination of TPivotGrid.OnRowHeaderClick event and TPivotGrid.CreateDropDownChart procedure.
The major problem with that(for me) is - where to place button for chart drop-down. It si looks not good if row header cell is only one row with 2 buttons (expand to next dim and expand to next hierarchy level) already exists.
Best regards,

Alex Zencovich
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.pivotcube.com - OLAP solution for Delphi, C++ Builder and ActiveX environment
AlexZencovich
Site Admin

Postby kurgbe » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:18 am

Alex,

Thanks for the tip.

Concerning the look of the grid, I don't think that the graph icon will make it unpleasant to look at. See the simulations below:

kurgbe
User

Postby AlexZencovich » Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:01 pm

Probably. It just question of taste. I dislike when too much differnt buttons (icons) placed on a grid.
And row header became too wide (especially if you have 3-4 levels).
But it does not matter for discussion. It just question of taste :)
Best regards,

Alex Zencovich
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.pivotcube.com - OLAP solution for Delphi, C++ Builder and ActiveX environment
AlexZencovich
Site Admin

Postby kurgbe » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:48 am

Alex,

I agree it looks a little bit cluttered but the availability of a quick access to display graphs of horizontal dimensions is probably more important than the look and feel. In any case, this function will be optional (property ChartDropDownInRow). But I expect this new feature might be difficult to implement.

Kind regards.
kurgbe
User

Return to PivotCube VCL