Doubt about rebuilding the whole cube.

Discussion forum for PivotCube VCL users. Common questions. Bug and problem reports

Moderator: Alex Zencovich

Doubt about rebuilding the whole cube.

Postby CrystalBlood » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:34 pm

Hi!
Sorry for my english!

Congratulations about the component!
i have some doubt, i hope you could give a hand!

one of the wanted features is the possibility of easy upgrade the cube data without rebuilding the whole cube.
so i'm asking if that is posible in some way?

My imagination go far, with a picture of a real datawarehouse, with a ETL process or something, but apparently is not necesary..
the component provides some functionality about it?
I couldn't found.. is documented?

if the component allow the functionality, is posible to automatic the process periodically in some server, obtaining the cube builded-updated and ready to use?
CrystalBlood

Re: Doubt about rebuilding the whole cube.

Postby AlexZencovich » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:46 am

Yes, it is possible. After set PivotCube.Active := True; (cube built) or PivotCube.Load From... just change dataset and call PivotCube.Build - it will not clear old cube but add new data from dataset to old.

Look at Demo app, menu item Update cube
Best regards,

Alex Zencovich
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.pivotcube.com - OLAP solution for Delphi, C++ Builder and ActiveX environment
AlexZencovich
Site Admin

Postby CrystalBlood » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:30 pm

I've built the cube in my application, and when run the upgrade, there's no checking about the data already loaded, i.e. if i have a cube with 500 records(facts), when i do a upgrade, appends another 500 records, having finally 1000 records...
that isn't especifically a updated cube.. it's more like a a double build.
i missed something? some property?

Thanks!
CrystalBlood

Postby AlexZencovich » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:29 pm

CrystalBlood wrote:I've built the cube in my application, and when run the upgrade, there's no checking about the data already loaded, i.e. if i have a cube with 500 records(facts), when i do a upgrade, appends another 500 records, having finally 1000 records...
that isn't especifically a updated cube.. it's more like a a double build.
i missed something? some property?

Thanks!

Pity, but there are no way to check if data is really new or it just already loaded (in some cases we propably can do that by check datetime field but not in common case). There is task for person who knows data nature to build sql clause which will not use loaded data, like save last build datetime and limit sql clause for only new records or save some identity ID etc.
Best regards,

Alex Zencovich
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.pivotcube.com - OLAP solution for Delphi, C++ Builder and ActiveX environment
AlexZencovich
Site Admin

Postby CrystalBlood » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:31 pm

So, in the demo, there's no actually updating?
CrystalBlood

Postby AlexZencovich » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:34 pm

CrystalBlood wrote:So, in the demo, there's no actually updating?

In demo that actually update cube but it does not make filter old?new records. It just show how to add new records to existed cube without rebuild fuill cube
Best regards,

Alex Zencovich
AlexZencovich
Site Admin

Return to PivotCube VCL