Dimension editor performance

Discussion forum for PivotCube VCL users. Common questions. Bug and problem reports

Moderator: Alex Zencovich

Dimension editor performance

Postby c_pradelli » Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:24 pm

I have some dimensions with 25000 items, the cube works fine, but when I open dimension editor to set some filters, it takes about 20 seconds to load all items in the tree, this makes it unusable for my customers.
Is there any solution?
c_pradelli
User

Postby AlexZencovich » Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:03 pm

There is problem with Windows standard controls (like TTreeView etc) - they are too slow when you add item in tree view.

I may suggets you switch into TVirtualTreeView usage there is
dimension editor replacement unit with TVirtualTreeVioew support.

But due to different component architicture, not all features of standrad dimension unit are supported with TVirtualTreeView
Best regards,

Alex Zencovich
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.pivotcube.com - OLAP solution for Delphi, C++ Builder and ActiveX environment
AlexZencovich
Site Admin

Postby c_pradelli » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:05 pm

I tested it, it's really fast, with it you don't need any gauge, it loads 25000 items in less than a second.
But it don't have the "Items Repository", some customers say that it help them to easily build the customs groups. And the most important thing, it doesn't have a search, that it is really useful when you have 25000 items.

Is there any chance that you provide the same dimension editor, but with Virtual tree view?

Regards
Christian
c_pradelli
User

Postby AlexZencovich » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:19 pm

Sorry, no. VirtualTreeView fast but drag'n'drop/search/sort...it is nightmare. Absolutely different architecture from standart TV.
I provide it just as code example, for people who may be expert with VT

If you are expert, you may create good, VT-based editor and sell it as 'addon' for reasonable price - probably some people will interested in that too
Best regards,

Alex Zencovich
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.pivotcube.com - OLAP solution for Delphi, C++ Builder and ActiveX environment
AlexZencovich
Site Admin

Return to PivotCube VCL