License to deploy bpl

Discussion forum for PivotCube VCL users. Common questions. Bug and problem reports

Moderator: Alex Zencovich

License to deploy bpl

Postby nandod » Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:23 pm

Hello,
the license says:
You may use PivotCube VCL components and the related source code to create new components for use within your company or to create a Windows program (executable file created by Delphi). The resulting .EXE file may be distributed via freeware, shareware or any commercial means of sale or distribution, but your distribution media must not include any other PivotCube VCL file except zCube.dll.
You may not create new components for distribution outside of your company, via freeware, shareware or any commercial product offering, based on any PivotCube VCL component.

I am not creating new components, but I my deployment scenario involves deploying at least PivotCube.bpl (under the name PivotCube_D7.bpl, or PivotCube_D2006.bpl, or PivotCube_D2007.bpl, depending on the version of Delphi). I am building the package in nondll mode.

Is the above supposed to be allowed by the license? If so, I'd appreciate an update to the license text just so I can be sure. If not, would that be ok if I create my own package and deploy it?

--
Nando Dessena
nandod
User

Postby AlexZencovich » Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:06 pm

At least license information should not be put in bpl.
Best regards,

Alex Zencovich
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.pivotcube.com - OLAP solution for Delphi, C++ Builder and ActiveX environment
AlexZencovich
Site Admin

Postby nandod » Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:29 pm

I don't understand. Could you pls elaborate?
--
Nando
nandod
User

Postby AlexZencovich » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:15 am

While registered you have got file LicenseKey.pas which will replace one come with package.
Information come with that file is license-critical. You should not put that information to bpl, it should still in your main application.

The problem is - if you put LicenseKey.pas to package, package may be used as standalone product, without your application. But under your license. Accroding to license terms, you cannot share your license information to someone else.
Best regards,

Alex Zencovich
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.pivotcube.com - OLAP solution for Delphi, C++ Builder and ActiveX environment
AlexZencovich
Site Admin

Postby nandod » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:38 am

Understood. But this effectively means that you cannot deploy run time packages at all. LicenseKey.pas is used by the rest of PivotCube, which wouldn't be possible to deploy as a package either.

My application architecture doesn't allow me to build modules in the main exe, so I guess I'm stuck.

I'm not sure why you say that deploying the bpl would allow people to use it - you cannot link it in without the relevant dcp. I think that deploying the bpl is more or less equivalent to deploying the dll.
nandod
User

Postby AlexZencovich » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:50 am

1. It is possible to get trial dcp (it is free available) and use your bpl.

2. You may see LicenseKey.pas source and copy code from that file to your application, then use trial LicenseKey.pas and replace corresponding license information for your own when you start use package.

It will mean - you have used trial bpl but you may set license information when you load it as dll in your application.

There are no any differences between trial and licensed bpl.
Best regards,

Alex Zencovich
AlexZencovich
Site Admin

Postby nandod » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:32 am

Apart from that, let me get this straight. It seems that I can do this:

Code: Select all
unit MyPivotCubeLicense;

interface

implementation

uses LicenseKey;

initialization
  pvUSERNAME := 'MyUserName';
  pvSERIAL := 'MySerial';

end.

So that PivotCube*.bpl can only be used (as a licensed copy) through my application. Is that correct? What if I put the above unit in a package and not the main exe. Is that still ok?

Thanks
--
Nando
nandod
User

Postby AlexZencovich » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:09 am

1 I think that information should be in your main.exe. If you put it in your PivotCube.bpl, as only package will loaded (regardless of main application ownership - your or somebody else) your license information will applied via initialization section and host application will use your license.

I think it will violation your rights as license owner and my rights as package vendor.
Best regards,

Alex Zencovich
AlexZencovich
Site Admin

Postby nandod » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:14 am

I think that information should be in your main.exe. If you put it in your PivotCube.bpl, as only package will loaded (regardless of main application ownership - your or somebody else) your license information will applied via initialization section and host application will use your license.

I am not putting anything into PivotCube.bpl. Apart from changing the name to add the _D* suffix, and pulling out the design-time stuff (see my other two threads), I plan to distribute it "as is".

The license code will be in a package (let's call it P) which is loaded by my application at run time, if present, and which in turn depends on PivotCube.bpl. P cannot be used by any other application, as the license doesn't allow it. I think I can make it so that P raises an exception if loaded by any application which is not mine. Would that satisfy you?

Using LicenseKey.pas from my main exe is not feasible: PivotCube support is optional and the application must be able to run without it.

Ciao
--
Nando
nandod
User

Postby AlexZencovich » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:40 am

nandod wrote:[
The license code will be in a package (let's call it P) which is loaded by my application at run time, if present, and which in turn depends on PivotCube.bpl. P cannot be used by any other application, as the license doesn't allow it. I think I can make it so that P raises an exception if loaded by any application which is not mine. Would that satisfy you?

Of course yes. It was just misunderstanding. I just do not know your application structure, so when I said main.exe I mean more simple app. structure.
You may put it in any your own package or library which is inseparated part of your application.
Best regards,

Alex Zencovich
AlexZencovich
Site Admin

Postby nandod » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:54 am

Thanks!

Case closed then. :-)
--
Nando
nandod
User

Return to PivotCube VCL