New feature: subitems counts

Discussion forum for PivotCube VCL users. Common questions. Bug and problem reports

Moderator: Alex Zencovich

New feature: subitems counts

Postby perikitown » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:27 am

First of all, congratulations for your great job, Alex. :D

Now the request: It will be nice when you are using more than one dimension in rows, and the dimension tree is collapsed, that top level dimension could show subdimension items count, without the need of expanding any node; there are several ways, for example, like Outlook does: Inbox(45), Sent Items(23)...

It's a very often request among my users.

Regards
Pedro Pablo Paños
perikitown
User

Postby AlexZencovich » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:46 pm

There are some doubts with that feature
1. Until you expand cell to sublevel (at least first time), counts still unknown or incorrect if you have any filters, especially filters by measure values. This is perfomance question - if you have 2 dimension for 1000 items each, we should check 1000000 possible cell variation to produce correct data, even if user really will expand only one cell to see inside

2. You may implement that by yourself with set TPivotgrod.Settings.Subtotals.xxx properties (see demo app fro details) and event handler fired on get of subtotal cell text. Not easy, but possible.
Best regards,

Alex Zencovich
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.pivotcube.com - OLAP solution for Delphi, C++ Builder and ActiveX environment
AlexZencovich
Site Admin

umhh

Postby perikitown » Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:02 am

AlexZencovich wrote:There are some doubts with that feature
1. Until you expand cell to sublevel (at least first time), counts still unknown or incorrect if you have any filters, especially filters by measure values. This is perfomance question - if you have 2 dimension for 1000 items each, we should check 1000000 possible cell variation to produce correct data, even if user really will expand only one cell to see inside

OK, I can now understand the complexity behind this *simply* feature. I think that a manual option to see current subitems count for current visible dimensions items would be nice.

AlexZencovich wrote:2. You may implement that by yourself with set TPivotgrod.Settings.Subtotals.xxx properties (see demo app fro details) and event handler fired on get of subtotal cell text. Not easy, but possible.

I'll try to implement myself, but I'm agree, it could be so difficult to me, as you said. I'll publish any working solution, if ever.

Best regards,
Pedro
perikitown
User

Re: umhh

Postby AlexZencovich » Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:59 am

perikitown wrote:
AlexZencovich wrote:2. You may implement that by yourself with set TPivotgrod.Settings.Subtotals.xxx properties (see demo app fro details) and event handler fired on get of subtotal cell text. Not easy, but possible.

I'll try to implement myself, but I'm agree, it could be so difficult to me, as you said. I'll publish any working solution, if ever.

Best regards,
Pedro

Please do not forget - you should do something like this

LockWindowUpdate(PivotGrid.Handle); // prevent grid from painting
PivotMap.ExpandAllRows(DImensionLevel); // 0 - for topmost dimension
PivotMap.CollapseAllROws(0);
LockWindowUpdate(0); //switch paint on

before get subtotal item counts from PivotMap.RowCells[].ChildCount
Best regards,

Alex Zencovich
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.pivotcube.com - OLAP solution for Delphi, C++ Builder and ActiveX environment
AlexZencovich
Site Admin

Return to PivotCube VCL