Forecast - anyone idee how to implement this?

Discussion forum for PivotCube VCL users. Common questions. Bug and problem reports

Moderator: Alex Zencovich

Forecast - anyone idee how to implement this?

Postby sn00py » Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:05 pm

Hi, i has to integrate a Budgetplanning into the cube, therefore i would like to ask, if someone can show me a direction, what would be the easiest and best practices for such task.

I have desgined a cube which shows the sales.
In the first direction, i show the quartal and month of the sale (filtered for a year)
In the other direction i show the region, the customer and the Category of the sale.

Now i would like to plan my sales for the next year.

For example In region A Category 1 i would like to sale 1000€/month
In region B Category 1 500€/month
The rest regions Category 1 200€/month

and so on ...

The goals are getting a value which would be me sales in 2007 and in 2007 i would like to compare these values with the real sales values.

regards
snoopy
sn00py
Developer

Postby AlexZencovich » Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:15 pm

1 Set forecast to next for dimension year, quarter and month.
2 Place them to rows and region, customer to columns

You will see forecasted value near total/subtotal like item labeled '[Next]'
Best regards,

Alex Zencovich
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.pivotcube.com - OLAP solution for Delphi, C++ Builder and ActiveX environment
AlexZencovich
Site Admin

Postby sn00py » Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:31 pm

no, i know this feature, but i mean following :

I would like to enter the values for the next year MANUALLY.

And then in the next year i would like to compare the manually entered values with the real values - i need to add an value the the cube which represents the manual entered value.
sn00py
Developer

Postby AlexZencovich » Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:48 pm

I do not know a real way. But I think you may try to add a template records to your facttable (probably directly to dataset, before build) with 'forecast' dimension values like year 2007'' for all customers and regions bu with 0 as sales value.
After that you will able to edit these 'forecast' cells with your estimated values and then upgrade cube with actula data for 2007 year and see difference.
Best regards,

Alex Zencovich
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.pivotcube.com - OLAP solution for Delphi, C++ Builder and ActiveX environment
AlexZencovich
Site Admin

Postby sn00py » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:26 am

Is it possible, to let the user enter a value into the data cell of the cube?

I can place an edit component over the cube, but thats not so nice.

I would like to let the user enter a text, and after that, i need an event/procedure where i can read out the dimensions of the actual cell, the filter of the actual view and the entered value.

I has to decide if the entered value is a single value (no aggregate function) - all dimensiones are defined (with a filter or as dimension in the view)

or if the entered value is entered on a sum field
sn00py
Developer

Postby AlexZencovich » Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:16 am

It is possible to edit data cell in the grid (see demo app) if cube built NOT IN Extended mode. But there SHOULD BE cell for edit - no way to add new cube cell just from grid - it should be result of built cube by database.
Best regards,

Alex Zencovich
AlexZencovich
Site Admin

Return to PivotCube VCL