Different package names for different Delphi versions

Questions about installation or compilation PivotCube VCL and PivotCubeX

Different package names for different Delphi versions

Postby nandod » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:05 am

Hello,
currently the PivotCube package is called PivotCube.bpl in all Delphi versions. This prevents the Delphi 7 and Delphi 2006 versions to coexist on the same machine.

Fixing this is easy: just add a "Lib Suffix" of "_D2006", "_D7" etc. in the package's project options. That's what I do on my copy but it would be nice if it was built-in so I don't have to re-apply the fix each time I upgrade.

Note: this should be done on both design-time and run-time packages (see my earlier message about it).

Thanks
--
Nando
nandod
User

Postby AlexZencovich » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:21 am

In that case, if you will recompile your project in D2006 after work with D7 you will need to change project sources - replace used library xxxx_D7 to xxxx_D2006.

Much easier keep different version of packages in Delphi spearated directories and set path to same package sources in project settings.
Best regards,

Alex Zencovich
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.pivotcube.com - OLAP solution for Delphi, C++ Builder and ActiveX environment
AlexZencovich
Site Admin

Postby nandod » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:20 pm

Thanks (again) for the prompt reply.

In that case, if you will recompile your project in D2006 after work with D7 you will need to change project sources - replace used library xxxx_D7 to xxxx_D2006.

First, I have separate projects for separate versions of Delphi anyway, because there are things that change source-level. So I don't need to modify anything at the project level anyway.

Second, what you wrote above isn't strictly True. Have a look at how the Lib Suffix works. I only have "PivotCube" in my requires clauses, and it resolves to PivotCube.dcp at compile time and to PivotCube_D7.bpl or PivotCube_D2006.bpl at run time.

I am somewhat amazed the above comes as news, as many many popular Delphi component packages (as well as the VCL itself) work this way.

Much easier keep different version of packages in Delphi spearated directories and set path to same package sources in project settings.

Separate versions of packages - yes. But setting paths at the project level is not practical, because
a) one can have many projects and it would be a maintenance pain;
b) one might want to avoid recompiling PivotCube sources every time a project is compiled;
c) doesn't work when compiling with run-time packages enabled. The bpl must be in the system PATH, and two different bpls with the same name are a nightmare to have in the PATH.

Thanks
[/quote]
nandod
User

Return to Installation/Compilation issues