Splitting design-time and run-time code

Questions about installation or compilation PivotCube VCL and PivotCubeX

Splitting design-time and run-time code

Postby nandod » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:02 am

Hello,
currently the PivotCube package is both a design-time and run-time package, which means it requires some non-redistributable Delphi packages such as designide100.bpl (for Delphi 2006).

This in turn implies that an application built with PivotCube and run-time packages cannot be legally deployed.

Can this please be fixed? I can do it myself and send the required changes to be integrated in the next release if necessary.

Thanks
--
Nando
nandod
User

Postby AlexZencovich » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:18 am

To create runtime package enable conditional define

NO_DESIGN_PACKAGE

and rebuild package from sources
Best regards,

Alex Zencovich
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.pivotcube.com - OLAP solution for Delphi, C++ Builder and ActiveX environment
AlexZencovich
Site Admin

Postby nandod » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:10 pm

Thanks for the prompt reply.
That's not what I need: I need both a design-time package that can be installed in the IDE and a run-time package that can be deployed.
Using a conditional only allows me to have one at a time.
nandod
User

Postby AlexZencovich » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:06 pm

You may make copy pivotcube.dpk (or bdsproj file) with different settings and different name anyway.
Best regards,

Alex Zencovich
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.pivotcube.com - OLAP solution for Delphi, C++ Builder and ActiveX environment
AlexZencovich
Site Admin

Postby nandod » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:15 pm

You may make copy pivotcube.dpk (or bdsproj file) with different settings and different name anyway.

Sure I can. So can anyone else :) I just thought it could be incorporated into the official distribution so that other people can benefit. Nevermind, I'll repackage it myself just as I've done until now.

I am not sure what the problem is anyway, but I know anyone has his own way of doing things so I'm not going to argue. Thanks anyway.
--
Nando
nandod
User

Postby AlexZencovich » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:03 pm

I understand your arguments.

There is only one problem I can see - I could not just change it right now. It will break compatibility for another customers. So, when I said you can do it yourself I mean - you may not need wait (and I sure - you will not wait)

You are second customer who touch that problem. If I will get more 5 votes I will start to change packaging.

Is it ok for you?
Best regards,

Alex Zencovich
AlexZencovich
Site Admin

Postby nandod » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:17 pm

It will break compatibility for another customers.

Well if so few people have the issue, then it means most customers are building and deploying with static binding (no run-time packages), which means they wouldn't be touched by the package changing name (except that they would need to uninstall the old one and install the new one).

Ironically, the change would be noticed most by those who need to build with run-time packages, like me and that other one. :)

If I will get more 5 votes I will start to change packaging.

I am not going to go hunting for converts to my cause. :)
I agree that if people don't need it you don't need to change it. I am fine with my local changes.

Ciao
--
Nando
nandod
User

Return to Installation/Compilation issues